We are only a few days away from E3 2018! Every year, media sites post their predictions for the biggest show of the year, and we are no different. Now, my predictions are pretty out there and usually wrong. But that hasn’t swayed me in my desire to predict some awesome moments for this year’s show!
For my predictions, I will list three predictions for Microsoft, Playstation, Nintendo, and 3rd party companies. Along with my three, I will add one bizarre, out of this world prediction that I want to happen, but will most likely not. At the end of the article, feel free to post your predictions in the comments or on social media! With that, let’s get to the predictions!
Safe Bets –
- Microsoft expands Game Pass by having Windows 10 games as a part of the service – This prediction does not relate to Xbox Play Anywhere titles. Instead, it will expand to provide some more PC games as a part of Game Pass.
- Microsoft will have the first trailers for 3 big upcoming 3rd party games: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Cyberpunk 2077, and Borderlands 3 – The Xbox One X has been a big deal for Xbox gamers, so Microsoft will pull all the stops and showcase big 3rd party games that will get the Xbox One X treatment.
- Microsoft will tease Halo for 2019…and does not mention Gears of War – I think it is still too soon for the next Gears of War. In my mind, Gears will be announced next year. But let’s face it, it’s time for a new Halo. Fans are craving it and Microsoft needs excitement at their keynote.
Insane Prediction –
- Rocksteady will announce their new game. It’s not Superman…It’s Justice League – Ever since the Square Enix Avenger’s game was announced, I have been wondering about the status of DC heroes in video games. Injustice has been great, but we need more. I just think the rumored standalone Superman game won’t work. Rocksteady did wonders for Batman, and I think a Justice League game would be a jaw-dropping E3 moment. It won’t be a gameplay trailer, but a cinematic tease that will blow us away.
Safe Bets –
- We will get a release window for Last of Us 2…and it will be late 2019 – Playstation already confirmed that they will discuss Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima, and Spiderman. I think Death Stranding and Ghosts will be released farther out (Fall 2020 and Spring 2020, respectively). So Last of Us gets the 2019 spot, along with Days Gone.
- Don’t worry, Playstation will discuss and surprise us with more than the four announced games – It doesn’t make sense that Sony will only talk about the four games mentioned above. They have a game plan for the many years in the future, and they will definitely tease us with some more games. My prediction? Two new IPs and one previously unannounced remake.
- Death Stranding will not show gameplay, but will have a story trailer – I have a weird feeling that we won’t see gameplay. It still feels too early. However, I think we will get a trailer that helps make sense of the weird stuff we have previously seen. Kojima will then get on stage and explain some more details since the audience will still be confused.
- Sony will tease a big announcement in the future, and it will most likely be hardware related – I can imagine this happening at the very end of the keynote. They will show a date on the screen with some words like “join us as we talk about the future of Playstation”. It will either be a standalone date or the date for Playstation Experience or Paris Games Week. Under the date, you will see the outline of a new console. I think they want to announce something, but at a different event outside of E3. Either way, it will be a stunning announcement that will have everyone talking the entire week and beyond.
Safe Bet –
- Nintendo will show a new trailer featuring many returning characters. But they will announce four characters new to the series – I don’t know if this will be first party or third party characters, but I think we will be hit with four new characters. On the show floor, the attendees will be able to play these characters, along with Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, and Kirby.
- Even though they said they would focus on 2018 releases, we will get trailers for Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing Switch, and a new Mario Party – They got us really well last year with their surprise announcements, so why not continue this year? They will be quick trailers, but they will blow us away.
- They will hype up their online service by announcing more retro games that will be available with their service – in my opinion, it is a mistake not to have the virtual console. The ease that pain, they will announce more games that will be available with their online service.
Insane Prediction –
- We will get a huge tease for a game that won’t come out until 2020…and it will be Zelda or Mario – I know traditionally, it takes a long time for a Zelda game to be released. But it would blow the competition away by showing a small tease for a new Zelda or Mario Odyssey sequel. I get that this is not the traditional Nintendo way, but it would get everyone hyped beyond belief.
Safe Bet –
- Anthem will continue to impress and excite gamers – We will most likely see more story and gameplay during E3. I’m betting it will get more and more gamers excited. A release date will NOT be announced.
- Besides Fallout 76 and Rage 2, Bethesda will have an Elder Scrolls tease – Fallout and Rage will most likely be 2018 releases, so why not tease the next Elder Scrolls? And I predict it will not be Online related. It will be the next chapter in the series.
- Ubisoft’s conference will be marred by late release dates – I think Ubisoft will have a great conference, but with one catch – their games will have release dates for 2019 and beyond. The only game release for this year will be Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.
Insane Prediction –
- I said it before and I’ll keep saying it until it finally happens…Left 4 Dead 3 will be announced – I will say it every damn year if I have to. It’s one of my favorite series of all time and I want another one. Someone make it happen, please!
Now for the fun part – the debate! Tell me how wrong I am in the comments or social media! And we will see what surprises are in store for us at E3 2018!