Nintendo released a sneak peak for their first DLC expansion pack for Breath of the Wild, and it definitely looks like some things we could have a lot of fun with. Here are the details:
- Trial of the Sword – This challenge takes Link through a series of rooms, each filled with various enemies. You start out with no weapons or equipment, so this should be a good challenge for any player! Complete all 45 rooms to unleash the “true power of the Master Sword.”
- Hero’s Path Mode – Have you ever wondered how much time you’ve spent in some of your favorite places, and which parts of Hyrule you still need to visit? Wonder no further, because the Hero’s Path Mode on your map will show Link’s footsteps for your most recent 200 hours of gameplay. A time bar at the bottom will allow you to dive deep and see where you’ve spent the most time on your journey. Neat!
- Hard Mode – Hard Mode in Breath of the Wild means more than it has in past Zelda installments. Every enemy will gradually regain health as you fight them, meaning that time is of the essence for your bigger battles. Additionally, each enemy will “level up” by one. meaning that any Red Bokoblin is now a Blue Bokoblin, and so on. Enemies can also have a higher maximum level than on Normal Mode, so beware! Additionally, “Look up, and you may also find enemies and treasure chests in the sky!” warns Nintendo. I wonder what we’ll find up there!
- Travel Medallion – A new item called a Travel Medallion will be hidden somewhere in Hyrule. Once it’s found, it will allow the player to set their current location as a fast travel point. Only one travel point will be allowed at a time, but even just that one extra travel point could prove extremely helpful!
- New Armor – This is probably the part I’m most excited about. I managed to get all of the armor available pretty early on in the game, and I’ve been itching for more ever since! The expansion will bring 8 new pieces of armor. We’ll get Majora’s Mask, Midna’s helmet, Phantom armor, and Tingle’s outfit. Each of these pieces of armor can be found in treasure chests hidden throughout Hyrule, and supposedly there will be some in-game tips to lead us to each piece.
- Korok Mask – In addition to the above mentioned 8 pieces of armor, there will also be a treasure chest containing a Korok Mask. This mask, when worn, will shake whenever the player is approaching a hidden Korok. Hopefully this will help us completionists find all 900 Korok seeds!
Expansion Pack 1 will be available this Summer, and is available for both the WiiU and Switch versions of Breath of the Wild. The pack is priced at $19.99, and upon purchase the player will receive 3 treasure chests, one of which contains a Nintendo Switch t-shirt! Stay tuned for more details on Expansion Packs 1 and 2, as release dates and more details are announced!
Do you have the Expansion Pass already? Planning on getting it? Let us know in the comments below!