LEGO Dimensions Preview: Does the Extended Trailer Hint at More Worlds???
Here it is…another LEGO game, or is it? Ok first watch the extended trailer, don’t worry, I’ll wait here.
Lets analyze what we’ve just seen. The extended trailer brings a ton of new info to the game that the regular trailer didn’t. We first see that after you watch though it, that this looks to be another Skylander/Disney Infinity/Amiibo toy craze. True, this looks to be exactly what it is…BUT WITH LEGO. (And LEGO Marty McFly!)
This game will be available for PS3, PS4, WiiU, Xbox 360, and Xbox One consoles on September 27, 2015. I’m going to copy and paste some key info from the press release I received then discuss more of what I think of the game.
Let creativity be the guide to a building and gaming adventure – journey through unexpected worlds and team-up with unlikely allies on the quest to defeat the evil Lord Vortech. Play with different minifigures from different worlds together in one LEGO videogame, and use each other’s vehicles and gadgets in a way never before possible. LEGO Bad Cop™ driving the DeLorean Time Machine…why not?! The LEGO® Ninjago™ Masters of Spinjitsu fighting alongside Wonder Woman™…yes, please! Get ready to break the rules, because the only rule with LEGO Dimensions is that there are no rules. The LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack is all players need to begin – build the base and embark on a fantastic quest.
Included in the LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack:
- LEGO Dimensions videogame
- LEGO Toy Pad
- Bricks to build the LEGO Gateway
- 3 LEGO minifigures (Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle)
- LEGO Batmobile vehicle
Build the minifigure heroes and fire-up the game to start the experience, then follow the in-game build instructions to assemble the loose bricks into the LEGO Gateway, and place the structure on the LEGO Toy Pad. Expand the adventure by collecting more minifigures, vehicles, gadgets, and new levels with the purchase of three different types of expansion packs. Use whatever minifigure with whichever vehicle or gadget – go ahead… break the rules! Level Pack: Want more to explore? Expand the gaming experience with a level pack which contains a whole new mission-based game level, along with a minifigure, a vehicle and a gadget to build and use in-game. Team Pack: Want the biggest collection? Get a dynamic pair of minifigures and a vehicle or gadget for each, all with their own unique in-game abilities. Fun Pack: Want the best variety? Extra fun comes in each pack containing one minifigure and a vehicle or gadget.
- An Extreme Cross-Over. For the first time in any LEGO videogame, characters from a mix of some of the best brands in the universe join forces and battle in worlds outside of their own. A Dark Knight, a Wizard, and a LEGO Master Builder traveling together down the Yellow Brick Road is just the beginning…
- Keep Expanding. By purchasing additional expansion packs, players can grow their collection with a variety of their favorite brands to create even more crazy combinations.
- More is Better. Bring up to seven minifigures, vehicles and/or gadgets into the game all at once by dropping them on the LEGO Toy Pad for the most exciting and action-filled game around.
- Play Alone or with a Friend. Players can let imagination guide their solo journey or have a friend join the adventure with co-operative, drop-in/drop-out play.
- The Starter Pack Will Last. The LEGO Toy Pad and the videogame found in the initial Starter Pack will offer continued compatibility with future Expansion Packs for years to come. Like any LEGO building set, LEGO Dimensions is a system of play that offers continued compatibility – everything bought today or expanded with tomorrow will continue to work.
There is an ancient planet at the center of the LEGO Multiverse inhabited by an evil mastermind, Lord Vortech. It is said that he who controls the Foundational Elements that this planet is built upon, controls all of the Multiverse. Lord Vortech has vowed to be that ruler, summoning characters from a variety of LEGO worlds to help him find these building bricks of LEGO civilization. Some have agreed. Others have rebelled. And only the combined powers of the greatest LEGO heroes can stop him. When a mysterious and powerful vortex suddenly appears in various LEGO worlds, different characters from DC Comics, The Lord of the Rings and The LEGO Movie are swept away. To save their friends, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle bravely jump into the vortex. As they journey to locations beyond their wildest imaginations in search of their friends, they soon realize that Lord Vortech is summoning villains from across different LEGO worlds to help him gain control. As his power grows, worlds mix, unexpected characters meet and all boundaries are broken. Our heroes must travel through space and time to rescue their friends before the vortexes destroy all of LEGO humanity.
- DC Comics™
- The Lord of the Rings™
- The LEGO® Movie
- LEGO® Ninjago™
- Back to the Future™
- The Wizard of Oz™
- And more still to be announced…
2015 Expansion Packs:
- Marty McFly (Back to the Future)
- Kai & Cole (LEGO Ninjago)
- Wonder Woman (DC Comics)
- Cyborg (DC Comics)
- Gollum (The Lord of the Rings)
- Gimli (The Lord of the Rings)
- Legolas (The Lord of the Rings)
- Emmet (The LEGO Movie)
- Bad Cop (The LEGO Movie)
- Benny (The LEGO Movie)
- Unikitty (The LEGO Movie)
- Wicked Witch (The Wizard of Oz)
- Jay (LEGO Ninjago)
- Nya (LEGO Ninjago)
- Zane (LEGO Ninjago)
- More Level, Team and Fun packs to be announced prior to launch.
So far it seems like a fun approach to a world most of us geeks know and love. With DC Comics, Lord of the Rings, and *GASP* Back to the Future characters already announced, how can anyone not get excited with the idea of Batman riding in the DeLorean? Gollum in the Batmobile? COME ON PEOPLE! But lets focus on what’s to come. I watched the trailer multiple times, and I noticed some clues. The extended trailer showed some items that could be referring to future packs!!! It could just be in my head but bare with me for a second. Follow along. So when the epic Joel McHale starts building and the piece wiggles and he states, “That’s. Not. Normal.” He clearly pulls out a Ghostbuster PKE meter and scans the pieces. COULD GHOSTBUSTERS BE COMING?! Also at the very end of the trailer, while Joel is drinking the coffee, I noticed on the table the donut. I may be thinking WAY to much about this one. But that sure as hell looks a lot like a donut….from the Simpsons. LEGO has recently been releasing Simpson LEGOs….SOOOOOO…? Any way watch the video again tell us what you think or if you noticed anything else in trailer in the comments below!!
Finally they announced the pricing as well. Depending on how hyped your are…A.K.A. like me. Your wallet may cry a little. With the release date aimed at September 27, 2015, you’ll have time to save.
- Starter Pack $99.99
- Level Pack $29.99
- Team Pack $24.99
- Fun Pack $14.99